Tuesday 6 January 2015

Nowhere Boy - Review

My rating: 10/10

As this is my first film review, I decided to stick with something I know and love. Nowhere Boy, released in 2009, is one of my favourite films. Not only for the obvious reason that it depicts the adolescence of John Lennon - one of my favourite musicians - it is also a beautifully crafted, poignant production. For those who have never watched it, here is the trailer:



The wild essence of John Lennon is one which is incredibly hard to capture, but Aaron Johnson makes it look easy - scrap that, he makes it look natural. Of course the intricately designed Teddy Boy costumes and hairstyles play a role in this (particularly in the scene during The Quarry Men's first gig in which John's character wears a replica of the shirt he wore in real life), but his thick scouse accent and rebellious attitude are vitally and wonderfully authentic. Despite the more serious subplot, the film as a whole is very comical. John's antics are hilarious to watch; even trivial moments like when he smashes the washboard over Pete's head had me laughing. However, underneath this 'tough-lad' exterior, Johnson maintains the constant lurking of emotional disturbance that shook John Lennon's childhood and youth, which is exposed during tragic scenes of revelation and loss. 

Nowhere Boy compared to a real photograph
Thomas Brodie-Sangster also performs excellently in his role as Paul McCartney (my all time favourite - sorry John). Despite the real Paul McCartney's comments about his height - which was apparently too short for his liking in comparison to John - I believe Brodie-Sangster made an excellent Paul. His polite, moral and level-headed way of thinking is conveyed in a way that intertwines with the wildness of John to create a harmonic balance, giving an accurate portrayal of their friendship.

Of course, beyond the infamous story of the creation of The Beatles, there is far more depth to John's life and character in the film. The women in his life - Aunt Mimi and his mother Julia - play equally important roles through their influence. Kristin Scott Thomas plays Aunt Mimi, with whom John grew up from the age of five. She accurately captures the strict nature of Mimi through severe facial expressions and a stern voice, whilst still making it clear that she loves John unconditionally. Much like John, underneath this she has inner emotional turmoil, brought to light when she declares the truth about how she came to take care of John. Her loss of emotional control combines with that of John in an overwhelming scene which literally brings me to tears. I challenge you to watch this film and not cry. I dare you.

As a huge ('huge' being a huge understatement...) Beatles fan, I naturally was very eager to analyse the historical accuracy of Nowhere Boy. I have to say - it's pretty damn good. Paul McCartney and others closely related to the Lennon family have argued otherwise, pointing out minor details that didn't actually happen. For instance, Paul McCartney has been said to question the scene in which John punches Paul. I'm fully aware that the film isn't 100% accurate, but I don't see this as such a dense issue. It is a film, not a documentary, and provides a more than sufficient amount of detail in my opinion to satisfy Beatles fans and create a great quality plot. Yes, those closest to him might disagree, but I would argue that the film isn't for those who witnessed the true events; it is for those who long to have been there and seen the magic happen, even just a glimpse of it.

Nowhere Boy is a without-a-doubt must watch for all Beatles fans, and non-Beatles fans for that matter. Around a year ago my friends came over to my house and I convinced them to watch it with me and they loved it, despite not being Beatles fans. If you haven't already, then I really urge you to watch it, and witness the making of music history.

No comments:

Post a Comment