Monday 7 October 2013

'Write to be Published' by Nicola Morgan - Review

One of my neighbours (and published writer) suggested that I read Write to be Published, because she knew that I had been looking into becoming a novelist. I added it onto my never-ending reading list and finally got around to reading it a few weeks ago, and it completely transformed my attitude towards writing.

I'll admit, before I read it, I did have a slightly surrealistic attitude towards writing. I took the 'I'll write from the heart and everyone will love it' approach, which, although I do believe it's important to write from the heart, it was a very foolish approach to not to consider the complications with writing professionally and being considered by publishers.

Firstly, I'll go for the most obvious comment. I was utterly struck by Nicola Morgan's abrupt brutality with the unfortunate truths about writing. I found it refreshing to be directly warned of the difficulties that I (and every other aspiring writer) will inevitably face, and, surprisingly (or not so), I was not at all put off the idea of writing. In fact, it spurred me on.

I have gained complete respect for publishers, agents, and already published authors by reading this book, and I've also learned to accept any constructive criticism that comes my way (to the point where I am hesitant to let my friends or family read my work, because "that's so good!!!!!" just doesn't seem to do it for me anymore). I've also learned many valuable lessons about the language of writing itself, which I definitely needed. For my AS level English language coursework I've been writing the opening chapter of a novel, and when I was proof-reading it a few days ago, I noticed that I'd subconsciously adapted my style of writing to the tips that Nicola Morgan had provided in Write to be Published (particularly concerning dialogue tags; I'm sure she'd be glad to hear. I've found that with the correct preceding or proceeding actions, they're unnecessary).

Overall, I've found Write to be Published utterly refreshing, attitude-changing and somewhat entertaining at points (I could name several moments where I couldn't help but laugh at Morgan's style of language in relation to certain situations).

I can't wait to read more of Nicola Morgan's work, and I'd definitely recommend Write to be Published to any aspiring writer.

4 comments:

  1. Completely and utterly agree - it's such a useful, sensible book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! You have completely "got" it! However, I need to warn you: the requirements for AS/A2 English may require you to use more adjectives, adverbs and dreaded dialogue tags than are recommended for publication, so do check with your teacher! My advice was for publication, not A-levels. I wish it was the same but unfortunately not :(

    Good luck with all your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! I really credit her use of personal experience in conjunction with the advice she gives; it really makes her tips more trustworthy, and less as though you're being told what to. I'll definitely be re-reading it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I remember you mentioning in the book that it wasn't a guidance for exams. Thank you for warning me, that had slipped my mind slightly. I will talk about it with my teacher in a few days when I next see him. Regardless, I'm very happy that my natural writing has been influenced, and so outside of my AS level work I'll still put your advice to practice!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete